Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup

This recipe was on a friend's blog, and I adjusted it just a little to suit the time I had and my family's tastes. I'll give you the recipe I made (since that's what I KNOW tasted good!) and give her alterations as optional.

2 cans chicken broth (or 4 cups made from bouillon)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked & cubed
2 cups frozen corn
1 8oz can tomato sauce (or 6oz can tomato paste if you want more tomato flavor)
1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 med onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin (or 1-2 tsp if you like things HOT)
1/2 tsp chili powder (or 1 tsp for more heat)
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Tortilla chips
Sour cream

Combine all ingredients except for tortilla chips and sour cream in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Serve with tortilla chips and/or sour cream.

(Her original recipe had this mixture cooked in a slow cooker on low for 4 hours and served over rice. I would imagine cooking it that long might make it thicker, and therefore a better option for serving over rice. I didn't have that kind of time, and I think I like this tortilla soup better. I'm sure either way would be delicious!)

Optional recipe for homemade tortilla strips:
4 white corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4" strips
Place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer.

No comments: