Oven-baked Spanish Tortilla – Tortilla Español al Horno
modified from: http://spanish-food.suite101.com/article.cfm/traditional_spanish_omelette
- Olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb onion (about 2 medium onions), chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs potato (about 8 medium potatoes), peeled & thinly sliced
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Boil potatoes until not quite soft (about 7 min) and drain.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and fry onion until tender. Add garlic and saute a few more minutes.
- Let potatoes, onion, and garlic cool slightly.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together. Add the cooled onion/garlic mixture and stir.
- Mix egg mixture into the potatoes.
- Grease a 9 x 11-inch dish fairly liberally with oil.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking-dish and flatten the top surface of the mix – no peaks wanted!
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 40 minutes until its golden brown - make sure its set in the center using a sharp knife to test it. When ready remove from the oven and leave it cool to cool and set a little more. (about 5 minutes)
- Loosen the edges with a knife and serve.