Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chicken with Cucumbers

I know, it sounds weird! But, an abundance of cucumbers from my garden led me to a search for new recipes containing cucumbers. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of this one, and my husband liked it, too, which is amazing since he doesn't really care for raw cucumbers. It really is fresh-tasting, and the sauce is yummy. I would recommend using chicken stock instead of the granules and water as it adds a lot of flavor. I served it over orzo pasta. From tasteofhome.com.


1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (I doubled this and still felt like it wasn't that much, but I love mushrooms)
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
2 large cucumbers
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

Directions
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. To drippings, add mushrooms and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Stir in flour until mushrooms are coated. Gradually add water and bouillon; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
Return chicken to the skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, slice one cucumber into thin slices; set aside. Peel remaining cucumber; slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut into 1-in. chunks. Add to skillet and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
Stir sour cream into sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with reserved cucumber slices. Yield: 4-6 servings.

No comments: