Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Coffee Cake

This is the coffee cake recipe I grew up with. It's so simple to make and so delicious. It's not too dry and not too "cakey." I brought it to MOPS this week and every last bite was eaten up. It really doesn't take that long to make but if I know I'm going to be in a rush for time, I will make the batter part up the night before and pour it into a greased 9x13 pan and put the pan in the fridge. I then mix up the brown sugar mixture and just leave it in a Tupperware on the counter. In the morning, I pre-heat the oven and sprinkle the topping over the batter. Once the oven is pre-heated, all I have to do is bake it for 25 minutes and I'm ready to go.

When you add the topping, just sprinkle it fairly evenly across the top of the batter. As it bakes, some of it will stay near the top and much of it will sink into the cake. It ends up looking very pretty and marbled when it's done baking.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

From the kitchen of: Martha Rowlands
Preparation time (start to finish): 30 minutes. Serves 6-8.

Mix together:

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons melted shortening/butter
1 cup milk

Add:
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt

Pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Top with mixture: (Mix in separate bowl with a fork)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

This is definitely best when eaten warm although it can also be eaten room temperature or re-heated.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oooohhh! I'm always up for a good coffee cake recipe. Especially with a good crumble topping. I'll give this one a try. Thanks :)

Sarah Kuhner said...

I am making this for Thanksgiving and was hoping to find mom's recipe on your blog. This is the best coffee cake. It even turns out great when I make it GF.

Sarah Kuhner said...

So it took 40 to 45 minutes to finish baking. I know that my GF flour is a bit different than wheat flour, but I think the recipe calls for 30-40 minutes.