Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Newton’s Sugar Cookies


This recipe is from a friend of mine from college. They are super delicious sugar cookies and some of my friends call them the "best sugar cookies in the world." I love making these in circle shapes (easier to frost and so versatile to decorate). I'll often make a double batch and freeze a bunch of them either frosted or plain. Then, when I want to take cookies to someone, I can just pull out however many I need, frost them if they need it and I'm good to go. These cookies are great anytime but I love them after the frosting has been on for 24 hours and the frosting has dried and the cookie has softened just a little from the frosting. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour

Roll to about 1/4 inch thick. Maybe just slightly thicker. 
Bake @ 400 degrees about 7-8 minutes. They should not be brown when you take them out. If I see one cookies edge start to brown, I remove the tray.

Icing

1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk *
2 teaspoons light corn syrup *


* I usually add extra milk and corn syrup until it’s a smooth runny consistency. You don’t want to fight to have to spread it on the cookies. Add a few drops extra at a time. 

Dessert
**If I double the batch of cookies, I usually use three eggs instead of two to make it moist enough. If you make a single batch and it's a little dry, you can always add another egg. Don't add the extra egg unless it needs it. 

No comments: