Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spiced Carrot-Zucchini Bread

Everyone's probably baking lots of zucchini bread right now, and here is a recipe with a slightly different twist. My cousin, who is deployed in Afghanistan, said the zucchini bread I sent him was the only one he got that was still moist. My aunt asked me how I did it, and I'm not exactly sure, as it was a while ago!! The only thing I can think of was that I sent him a loaf of this bread, and the carrots kept it moist. Even if I'm wrong on that part, it's still a yummy, easy bread. The spices seem to be louder than in regular zucchini bread. Perhaps the carrots set them off? I like that aspect, but if you're not a huge cinnamon or cloves fan you may consider reducing them a tad.

from The Pampered Chef


2 1/4 c. flour (I usually use 3/4 - 1 cup of whole wheat)
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder (original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. I live at high altitude and reduce it)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 c. finely chopped carrots - I don't know who has time to finely chop carrots when you could just shred them! That's what I always use. I've also subbed shredded apple in a pinch
3/4 c. finely chopped zucchini (same as above!!)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped nuts
2/3 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten


Preheat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of greased loaf pan with Pam. In large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients moistened.


Spoon batter into pan. Bake 65-70 min. or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 min. Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove loaf to cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.

No comments: