Saturday, April 11, 2020

Best Ever Carrot Cake

This carrot cake was originally from a recipe somewhere online. I'm sorry, I don't have the website to give credit. If I find it, I will post the link. My mother-in-law made it and we all fell in love with it. It's the best carrot cake I've ever eaten. This carrot cake is loaded with healthy ingredients and tastes absolutely amazing! Both the cake and the frosting are not overly sweet like many cakes end up being. I'll include a few tricks and substitutions I have found that work well.


Best Ever Carrot Cake
From Grammy Terry Zachary

1 ¼ cups unsweetened applesauce (or 2 apples pureed in Vita-mix)
1 ¼ cups sugar (can also substitute coconut sugar)
3 eggs

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

2 cups grated carrots (buy a bag of shredded carrots from the grocery store to save time)
1 cup coconut (I've used unsweetened or sweetened. Both will work)
1 cup nuts, chopped (I use walnuts)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup un-drained crushed pineapple

Bake 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes for 9x13 pan
25-30 minutes for 3, 8 inch round pans. Cool.

*This cake base would make excellent muffins as well.

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream, whip by itself first. Remove to separate bowl.

8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar, granulated
1 pinch salt
1-2 tsp vanilla
1.     In a mixing bowl whip the 1-1/2 cups whipping cream until stiff peaks form. (Move out of mixer).
2.     Beat together the cream cheese with sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth.
3.     Using a spatula fold in the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
-->
This frosting holds up well and doesn't melt like plain whipped cream does. It is easy to spread and can be used for carrot cake or regular cake as it doesn't have a super strong cream cheese flavor. It is really delicious!

No comments: