Saturday, April 11, 2020

Instant Pot Hummus

I love hummus! I go through phases where I will eat it like I can't get enough of it and then I stop and don't eat it for months. However, I decided I should learn how to make my own and I found the perfect recipe IF you have the right kitchen tools. I found the original recipe online at Littlespicejar.com. You can reference it here if you would like.

Ingredients

Garbanzo Beans
8 oz dried garbanzo beans (about 1 1/4 cup)
6 cups water
2 cloves garlic

Hummus
1/3-1/2 cup lemon juice (I use the bottled stuff)
1/2 cup tahini paste (found by the peanut butter in the grocery store)
4-5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup reserved chickpea water
1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cumin powder

Directions
Add the beans, water and garlic to the Instant Pot. Set on manual to high pressure for 40 minutes. Allow natural release for at least 30 minutes. This allows the chickpeas to continue to cook. Reserve 1 cup of chickpea cooking water, drain the beans and set aside.

Blend
The original recipe calls for a food processor. I use my Vita-mix. Both will work.
Blend the tahini, garlic and lemon juice until it is smooth. Add half the chickpeas, 1 Tbsp of chickpea liquid and half the olive oil. Add the seasonings and remaining chickpeas and olive oil. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust if needed. If it's too thick add more chickpea liquid or lemon juice.

Refrigerate and use within a week.

If you want to make hummus more frequently, you can always cook more beans to start with and freeze the extras with some of the liquid. Dethaw a day before you want to make hummus.

No comments: