Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Crepes & Manicotti

My husband's favorite food is manicotti. I used to buy the shells at the store and cook them and try to stuff them with the cheese filling. It takes forever, makes a mess and is a LOT of work. Once, when we ordered manicotti at Buca de' Bepos it seemed like their shells were very similar to crepes. I went home and tried my crepe recipe and they turned out delicious. My husband requested that I always make the crepe version from then on.

This recipe is a regular crepe recipe so if you like crepes, try making them and filling with fruit or more savory fillings. Look ideas up for fillings online. If you want to make the manicotti, just go to allrecipes.com and look for a good manicotti filling recipe and use these as the shells.

This recipe originates from my Vita-Mix cookbook so I always make it in my blender.

1 cup skim evaporated milk
4 eggs or egg substitute
1 tablespoon sugar or other sweetener, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour

Pour approx. 3 tablespoons of batter onto hot, lightly buttered crepe pan or 8 inch fry pan. Tilt to spread batter. Crepe is done when set on top and lightly browned on bottom.

I always use a regular frying pan. One with rounded edges works best. Try to make these as thinly as possible and they'll work better. I usually flip my crepe just briefly. Don't overcook or they'll be brown and crispy.

Manicotti Filling Recipe

2 eggs
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 container ricotta cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

Make sure to use less parsley/basil if using dried.


Bon Appetit

No comments: