Thursday, July 8, 2010

Almost Too Much Chocolate Cake

This is a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. It's super easy to make and tastes delicious. It calls for a bundt pan and it tastes great made that way without frosting. However, my favorite way to make this cake is in two cake pans. I then frost the cake with homemade peppermint frosting. It's so delicious this way as it's such a moist cake and the peppermint and chocolate just go so well together.

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil (I usually use applesauce)
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 12 cup bundt pan.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate. If desired, dust the cake with powdered sugar.

Alterations:
There are times when I don't have the exact ingredients and need to alter the recipe a little. I always use a chocolate cake mix of some sort whether or not it's a devil's food cake. If I don't have chocolate pudding, I've used vanilla before. Also, I've used white chocolate chips when I run out of semi-sweet chocolate chips. It's always turned out great!

2 comments:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

I now make this as a three layer cake with ganache frosting.

Ganache: 2 cups whipping cream, heat until almost boiling. Add 1 bag of dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted.

Put in fridge to thicken. I pour some on the first layer, refrigerate until thicker. Add next layer, repeat. Pour the top layer on. Once the ganache is thick enough in the fridge, I spread it on the sides of the cake. It can be a little tough to work with but SO worth it!! It takes this cake off the charts!! Definitely 5 star if you add the ganache frosting!!

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

This sounds so yummy, Megan! Even if Silas changes his mind, I'm sure I can find a good reason to make this :) Thanks so much!

Jeanette