I know what you're thinking... "meatloaf?! What, are we in the 1950s?!"... that's exactly what I thought when I came across this recipe (plus I've always hated meatloaf!). But I got the "Splenda" cookbook as my hubby has Type 1 Diabetes and I'm always looking for ways to cut out carbs and sugar. (I've done a fair amount of experimenting with Splenda, and I have to say that its not too bad!) What I love best about this meatloaf is that it is a little spicier than traditional meatloaf, which makes it really good! (I grew up on a lot of Mexican food, so I love spicy!) Enjoy!
Source: Splenda Cook Book
Yield: Serves 4
1 c tomato sauce, divided
3 Tbsp Splenda Granular, divided
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 ½ tsp chili powder, divided
1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
½ tsp salt
1 lb extra-lean ground turkey or beef (I use turkey, but I’ve also tried it with ground venison!)
¼ c Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix 1/3 c tomato sauce, 2 Tbs Splenda, mustard, 1 tsp chili powder, onion flakes, parsley, and salt in large bowl.
3. Add ground meat and bread crumbs; stir well.
4. Shape the mixture into the pan.
5. Mix remaining tomato sauce, chili powder, and Splenda together in a small bowl. Spoon mixture over the meat mixture.
6. Bake 55-60 minutes. Remove and cool for 3-5min before slicing.