Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Creamy White Chili

So glad you came up with this idea of a shared blog on meals! (What a source of stress meal planning gets to be!) Below is one my hubby loves, especially while watching football! Let me know if you have questions! Enjoy


Creamy White Chili
Great with some french bread or in a bread bowl!

Source: Taste of Home Magazine

Yield: Serves 2-4 (depends how hungry you are!)

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 med onion, chopped
1 ½ tsp garlic powder or about 5-6 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp veg oil
2 cans (15 ½oz each) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 ½oz) chicken broth
2 cans (4oz each) chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup (8oz) sour cream
½ cup whipping cream (or light cream is fine)

1. In a large saucepan sauté chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink
2. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
4. (I like to mash the beans at the end of the 30minutes, to make it thicker and more creamy, but its up to you).
5. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Serve immediately.

Comments:
I have to admit, this isn’t the prettiest looking dinner. I wouldn’t recommend serving it when company comes, because it isn’t incredibly fancy. But it tastes SO GOOD! Like I said, good football-watching food!

5 comments:

starlight11500 said...

Megan, how do I post a recipe on here? Just in the comments and then you will post it?
I found this recipe online and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could sustitute for the beans:

Simple Layered Fiesta Salad



4 servings, 2 cups each6 cups torn romaine lettuce 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, drained 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken 1/2 cup TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa 1 cup KRAFT Natural Three Cheese Crumbles 1/2 cup KRAFT Ranch Dressing 1 cup broken tortilla chips

starlight11500 said...

oh and yes, I did look back at the spicy beef recipe and I can see now that it's not real peppers, but flakes....oops!

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

This recipe looks yummy! Thanks for sharing Amanda!

Sarah said...

I tried this recipe and it's really good! My husband even said I could add it to our "make again" list. :) I think next time I'll put in just a little less cayenne pepper since it was a tad too spicy for me (although my hubby thought it was fine). Also, it made 7 servings for us. :)

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

I also tried this recipe. My husband doesn't like soups or chilli and he ate his entire bowl of it. Made enough for 2 full meals and a few lunches. I liked the idea of mashing the beans but I had a hard time mashing them at the end. Next time, I might blend them up before I add them to the soup. I added some photos I took of the soup. The top photo was taken at the end and the bottom photo before I added the cream and sour-cream.